3 Do It Yourself Halloween Costume Ideas
In this article, I am going to guide you how to create three different do it yourself Halloween costumes. For these costumes, you may need to buy few things as well as there are few things that you might already own in your wardrobe which makes it so cool because you can just transform like an old dress into a Halloween costume and you know you can save some dollar.
Do It Yourself Halloween Costume Idea#1- Witch
- For the first DIY, we’re gonna be revamping a witch’s hat and for this you will need a black garland.
- So, you need to measure out the length around the circumference of your witch’s hat. Once you have measured it out, what you need do is cut off the garland end and then start gluing it to the base of the Hat. When using a hot glue gun make sure to read and follow all of the safety instructions beforehand and children should only use one under close supervision of an adult but if you guys don’t have a glue gun you can also use a super glue.
- Once the garland is stuck firmly to the Hat, take a spray paint that’s gold and just spray it over the leaves to give it some texture and also, some dimension. Because it may look very black and solid, so you couldn’t really see much of the leaves and I thought this will just bring it to life and add it that extra layer of detail. Then keep the witch’s hat off to the side and let that dry for a little bit.
- Now, take some plastic black spiders and spray the same gold paint to make them look a little bit more visible on the hat. Once they’re dry, take the hot glue gun once again, and stick those little spiders onto the top of the hat in random places. This will just make the Hat look more expensive and really bespoke, and the fact that you can take such an affordable witch’s hat and turn it into this is pretty impressive.
- For the dress, you can take an older black dress that you already had in your wardrobe and turn that into your witch’s costume.
- The first thing you need to do is just cutting the very bottom of the dress to make it look really ripped and a bit more scary. So, you need to just cut in those long triangles of fabric at the very bottom. A lot of store-bought costumes also do this, so we’re just going to replicate that on our own dress.
- Again, you need to do this step to the sleeves of the dress as well just to make it look a little bit more ripped and a little bit more scary. This step is of course optional but it just adds a little bit of something to the dress.
- Then You need to take the gold spray paint and spray that around at the ripped parts of the dress and also, the neckline just to create a slight nice effect and this links in really well with the hat that we previously DIY.
- Once your dress is dry, you can pop it on and you can take black net sort of layer of fabric and just wrap it around the waist of your dress to create an illusion of more layers to the dress.
- Next up for makeup, you need to take the green face paint and just cover the whole face and neck.
- Once you are done with that, you need to take the white creme face paint and apply that under your eyes and forehead just to add some dimension.
- Then take the black lipstick and just apply that to your lips and apply a black eye shadow kind of messily which you can then blend out into the green to add a smoky effect to it.
- The next thing you need to do is apply some black eye shadow into your brows because we are gonna be wearing a black wig so you need to make them look a little bit thicker as well.
- Then take the black face paint and draw on two little spiders on your face but this is completely optional.]
- Once you are done with your makeup you need to wear a long and black wig which is kind of messy. Then you can wear your witch’s hat that we DIY earlier and You are done with your witch’s look.
Do It Yourself Halloween Costume Idea#2- Pumpkin
- For the next DIY you’re gonna need some orange yarn which is super inexpensive.
- The first thing you need to do is kind of just wrap it around your hand, you need to keep going and once you feel like you have enough thickness, you can cut off the excess yarn.
- Then just need to cut off another roughly 15 cm of yarn and just wrap it around the bunch into a tight knot. You can notice that once you tie it off it kind of starts to look like a little pumpkin. Then you need to take a green pipe wire, and just place that in the middle and then tighten that up with the excess yarn into a knot.
- Once the pipe wire is tied in place, you need to bend it upwards and basically start twisting it around each other which is supposed to be the stalk of your pumpkin. So, you can cut off the excess yarn if you like and that is the finished thing.
- Once you’ve mastered making one of these, you can make a couple more and start hot gluing them onto a headband to make a pumpkin headband. Again, if you don’t have hot glue, you can also use some super glue but I just find that hot glue is the easiest and quickest way to achieve something like this.
- Now, on to the pumpkin costume which is again super simple and easy to make, all you need is an orange colored top or t-shirt anything that you might already have in your wardrobe.
- Then just take some black foam and sketch out the outline of some pumpkin carved eyes and also a mouth. If you’re not very good artist, you can obviously use a stencil off the internet.
- You can draw out some triangles and just basically pop them into place. Once you’ve done that, just take another piece of black foam and draw out the mouth portion of the pumpkin and then cut that out and pop it into place. So, you need to just hot glue them onto the top of the t-shirt.
- When you’re doing this, just be careful that the two layers of fabric the front and the back of the shirt glue together because that would be a disaster.
- On to the makeup, to really complete this Halloween look just take the orange cream face paint and apply that all over your face with a Beauty Blender.
- Then take a brown eye shadow and start to draw out some vertical lines across your face. That’s just kind of like ridges of the pumpkin.
- Then take a white face paint and just create some highlights in between those lines to kind of add a little bit of highlight to the pumpkin.
- Then move straight on to the black, just create the carved out black eyes and also the nose and mouth. Again, if you’re struggling with this, you can obviously look at an image off the internet as a reference for the map. That’s it, you are finished with this costume.
- I love how easy it is to recreate this look and also create the costume. So, if you have no idea what to be and you still haven’t got your costume, and this will be the perfect thing to be.
Do It Yourself Halloween Costume Idea#3- Zombie Bride
- For the last DIY, we’re creating a zombie bride costume. For this look, you need to take a old baby doll a dress.
- Again, what you need to do is just cutting the triangle kind of frayed effect to the sleeves and on the bottom of the dress. Doing this tiny step just transforms any piece of clothing to make a look a little bit more Halloween appropriate.
- Then take some white lace and place that over neckline of the dress and hot glue it. Adding a slight lace to it just makes it look a little bit more creepy, a little bit more Victorian, and aged.
- Then take the scissors and just cut a bunch of holes into the dress to make it look a little bit more distressed and old.
- Now, to really finish off the dress, take some red fake blood spray and spray that all over the dress to make it look really creepy.
- To accessorize this dress, you can buy a little blood choker from any online shop which I think just really completes.
- For the make up, just take some white face paint and apply it all over the face to make ourselves look really dead and ghostly.
- Then take the red lipstick and just apply that all over the lip and lastly, take some brown eye shadow on a big blending brush and just go all around the eyes to make yourself look really tired and deadly.
- To complete the costume, you can just wear some fake blood painted tights.
- You can also add a messy wig to get really creepy look.
Here are some more Do It Yourself Halloween Costume Ideas: