8 Cheap Halloween Costume Ideas
In this article, I am going to give you eight costume ideas that you can make from items that you already have in your closet. These costumes are also really great for like work or school because they’re made from everyday items so, they don’t look as costumey as other Halloween costumes. A little bit more appropriate for your everyday activities than regular Halloween costumes but you still get to have fun and dress up for Halloween.
Cheap Halloween Costume Idea#1- Flower Child
- Hit up your closet and find something with floral, warm tones, or fringe and you can be a flower child. Give off all those 60’s hippie vibes, dance around like you’re at One Stock, it’s a pretty fun costume.
- You can go with an orange floral dress, brown fringe vest and circular sunglasses.
- Honestly, I feel like pretty much everyone has something in their closet that would work for this costume and it doesn’t look too costumey. So, it is perfect if you want to dress up at school or at work but don’t want to wear anything too crazy.
Cheap Halloween Costume Idea#2- Mary Poppins
- This outfit is cute and simple. For this costume, you need to wear a white button-up shirt tucked into a black high-waist skater skirt, and finish off the look with a red neck tie and a black bowler hat.
- Now, you need to add one little DIY element just to make the whole thing more Mary Poppins. Buy a stem of fake daisies and little red bobbles and hot glue them around the edge of the hat, just like she has in the movie. It only take a few minutes and I think it will really pull the costume together.
Cheap Halloween Costume Idea#3- Morton’s Salt Girl
- Costume number three is probably the most simultaneously unique and obscure one on the list. It’s the Morton’s Salt Girl. It’s the salt brand with the girl in the yellow dress on the box. Well, it makes a super cute Halloween costume from items that you already have in your closet.
- All you’re gonna need is a yellow dress, white tights, umbrella and, if you want to, you can carry around a little thing of the salt with you just to drive the point home.
- This would be the perfect costume if you work in an office or you’re a teacher or something because it’s still put together and professional looking enough but you get to dress up for Halloween.
Cheap Halloween Costume Idea#4- Alice in Wonderland
- For Alice in Wonderland, it’s all about the color blocking. In the movie, Alice wears a blue dress with a white apron. So, to make the costume more modern, you need to a white skirt and blue blouse instead of the dress and apron.
- Also, use some black ribbon as the headband, just like Alice does in the movie, and wear some white tights just like hers.
- Really, all you need is something in a pale blue color and something in the white. I think the skirt and blouse combo is probably the most similar to what she wears but you could totally switch it up and do like shorts or pants, or even a blue dress with a white cardigan.
Cheap Halloween Costume Idea#5- Emperor’s New Groove Kuzco
- Emperor’s New Groove is a totally underrated Disney movie. Let’s be real, Kuzco delivers all of the sass so he’s kind of the perfect character to dress up as.
- You need to wear a red t-shirt dress, and Kuzco’s tunic is supposed to have that gold lining around the neck. So, you can wear a yellow infinity scarf to kind of emulate that look.
- He also has big blue earrings. So, you can wear the most similar pair that you have and he does have a headdress type crown thing. So, for that you can have your hair in a high messy bun.
Cheap Halloween Costume Idea#6- 101 Dalmatians Cruella De Vil
- Halloween means it’s time for the Disney villains to thrive. Cruella De Vil, from 101 Dalmatians, literally used to terrify me when I watched that movie as a kid. She’s intense!
- For Cruella, you’ll need a black dress, red gloves, and some sort of big, fluffy coat. Extra points if you’ve got one that’s Dalmatian spotted.
- Also, if you have any extravagant looking costume jewelry, you can throw that on too.
Cheap Halloween Costume Idea#7- Mean Girls Damien
- “She doesn’t even go here!” – I’m pretty sure everyone knows this line who have watched Mean Girls.
- For the Damien from Mean Girls costume, you’re gonna need a blue hoodie, sunglasses and that’s it.
- You could also carry around a sign that says that iconic line on it if you want to but it’s not really necessary.
- This costume is low maintenance, it’s funny, and it only takes two items.
Cheap Halloween Costume Idea#8- Mamma Mia! Donna Sheridan
- For all the musical fans out there, go as Donna Sheridan from Mamma Mia. Her relaxed, Greek, working woman style is really easy to emulate with everyday clothes.
- All you need to wear is jean overalls over a white flowy blouse.
- Throughout the movie, Donna usually has her hair in a ponytail or half up. So, you can go with either.
Here are some more Cheap Halloween Costume Ideas: